Before Surgery Instructions at Torrey Pines Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
Welcome to our pre-operative instructions page for oral surgery. Before undergoing any surgical procedure, it’s important to understand the steps you can take to prepare and ensure a smooth and successful recovery.
Our experienced team of oral surgeons and support staff are dedicated to providing you with the highest standard of care and we want to ensure that you are well informed and comfortable with the process.
If You’re Scheduled for Intravenous Sedation
Eating and Drinking
- You must not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for six (6) hours prior to the appointment.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing on the day of your surgery and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed before surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cough, cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset before your surgery, please notify our office immediately
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
Arrival Time and Driving
- Arrive at the office at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled surgery time.
- A responsible adult must accompany you to the office and drive you home.
- You should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
Medical History and Medications
- Inform the office of any changes in your medical history or current medications.
- Bring a list of your current medications and dosages with you.
- Avoid smoking for at least 24 hours before and after the surgery, if you smoke.
- Avoid alcohol for at least 24 hours before the surgery